I was being a cautious person - well, as cautious as a woman who wanted to create her own business can be. I decided that I was not going to be a starving entrepreneur who stayed awake all night wondering, “will I be able to pay my rent this month?”. I had gone down that route before and I wasn’t about to go down it again.
So what does a sister who wishes to build her coaching practice but unsure even how to get her clients do?
I had a great job at a design company but it wasn’t feeding my soul. I wasn’t inspired or motivated and I knew for the sake of the company, as well as the sake of my integrity, I had to move on. I took a leap of faith and told them I was going to leave.
Instead of lying or staying for months before I handed in my notice, I was committed to speaking my truth and opened to see what would happen.
I was consumed with fear wondering if the partners of the company would laugh or tell me I had two weeks.
Instead, it became an opportunity for me to express my desires, provide them with a window into what I desired to create, and allow me the space to proudly declare it aloud. By doing this, my amazing design company supported me through this journey for the next three months and then happily sent me off.
Together, we created a plan that gave me time to build a foundation. By being true to my heart and daring to speak my desires, I got exactly what I wanted (and needed).
I did it dear one, and so can you. Here are 10 magical steps to having a conversation that gets you out of your current position and onto a path of living your purpose.
1. Be thankful. Sister, gratitude is a biggie. Find the blessings your current job provides you. You have learned skills and possibly have a steady income from being in this position.
2. Change your mindset. Instead of focusing on all the things that make you cringe, think about how work can still serve you? What skills can you begin to develop now for the future? What projects can you initiate that will help you when you move on? Who can you cultivate a great working relationship with that can be mutually nourishing? Girl, you can do this!
3. Consider all that you have accomplished. List all that you have done for the company. How have you been an assets and a major contributor to your team? This will help you see that your time hasn’t been wasted and that you have more experience than you thought. Sister, you are amazing!
4. Explore where you have the opportunity to grow. Where do you see potential professional growth and development? Is there someone who you wish to learn from - a mentor? How can the company support your learning? Take the opportunity to learn and continue to shine!
5. Map out your career path. Create a map that shows where you were before you joined the company, how you have contributed, what you have learned, and where you envision yourself going from this point. This includes career, finance, family, self-care, personal and professional development. Your map has the power to show you as a whole person and not just as an employee. Allow yourself to tap into your creativity and see this as an art project.
6. Determine your desires. What do you desire for your future? What is your ideal outcome? How do you wish to reach your goal? Your soul is ready to tell you.
7. Stop and breathe. Breathing should be an integral part of your journey throughout this process. Ease the nerves by breathing through it. It is so easy to panic during this transition and push, push, push until you have nothing left. But you can’t start a new life when you are running on empty. Soul sister, I desire for you to feel expansive and free. I invite you to focus on self-care and be gentle with yourself.
8. Sit down and chat. Speak with your human resource lead, business lead, partner, or manager openly about all of the above. Allow this to be an open conversation around where you were, where you are now, and where you are heading. Give your team the opportunity to brainstorm with you the best path which may be leaving your position. You’ve got this!
9. Create a timeline for the transition. End with a timeline and an open discussion around the strategy to get to the end result. Schedule another check-in with specific tasks that can be measurable by action steps and feelings. Drop into the feeling of excitement and tranquility.
10. Celebrate. Go out and celebrate the fact that you did this! You tapped into your intuition and recognized something needed to change. You moved through the fear and took steps to own your dreams and speak your truth. This is huge! So celebrate by taking yourself on a date or spending the afternoon at the park. Anything. You deserve it!!
You can use these 10 steps to get you through any transition in life, and there will be more changes, much more. Because life is not meant to be lived in a static state.
Embrace the beauty of change and know that you have all the tools you need to make it through - with calm and ease.
May you see magic in your life today.